Friday, July 22, 2011

TED Talk with Markus Fischer: A Robot that flies like a bird

To follow up my last post about Theo Janses, I came across this. Markus Fischer with his team from Festo Corporation have build a robotic bird. In the interview he shows the audience how it flies, which I believe was remote controlled. In my opinion, it flew beautifully. It was absolutely life-like and the work in aerodynamics they had to put in was just fascinating. From their website:
"Festo is a leading world-wide supplier of automation technology and the performance leader in industrial training and education programs. Our aim: maximised productivity and competitiveness for our customers."
From reading their website I found that they also signed up to sponsor Wordskills in London to provide competitions in Mechatronics, Mobile Robotics, and Polymechanics. Festo is a worldwide company but their U.S. branches support F.I.R.S.T. (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) Robotics competitions. I am quite familiar with F.I.R.S.T being a former member of Team 457 Grease Monkeys from San Antonio, Texas and being a former two year mentor. This may be the year that I come back as a mentor, depending on my schedule. F.I.R.S.T and my robotics teacher, Mr. Henry,  helped me graduate and have given me the skills I needed to succeed in college. Please check for a F.I.R.S.T team in your town since it has completely widespread to all states and even other countries. I would suggest you participate no matter what your skills are. It is fun, exciting, and innovative and probably some of the best years of my life. For the robotic bird from Festo...

No comments:

Post a Comment