Sunday, August 14, 2011

Dean Kamen and will.i.am = Awesome!

CNN's Piers Morgan interviewed Dean Kamen, Inventor of the Segway and founder of F.I.R.S.T., and will.i.am from the band Black Eyed Peas. *Videos below*

From what I've heard, Black Eyed Peas made an appearance at the F.I.R.S.T. Robotics Championship in St. Louis last year. This makes me very excited to see that this program might get more attention that it rightfully deserves. Since I started in 2005, I have supported F.I.R.S.T. as a student and as a mentor. I agree with these two on that most schools are concentrated on just sports, which in most cases do not lead to college graduates. I am one of those students. I did not enjoy sports one bit and did not participate in any. I was always kind of nerdy and just didn't care for anything that had to do with sports. When I heard about the robotics team at my high school and went to the first meeting, I was automatically hooked. I didn't think at the time that it would make a profound impact on my life...but it did. It helped me to strive to graduate from high school when there was a chance I might not have been able too, its helped on my resume to be hired for jobs, it gave me that push I needed to go to college, and now I am less than a year away from graduating from college with a Bachelor's degree. I am living proof that this program works, and you are hooked for life.

Now I am interested on moving to the east coast to join the AmeriCORPS VISTA Program with F.I.R.S.T. which is a full year of full time volunteer service to promote the robotics program. I can't begin to describe how incredibly excited I am to know that this opportunity exists. This is something I can tell you now, I will probably be dedicated to this program for the rest of my life. It is that important to me and I think to this country.

Please Go and learn about F.I.R.S.T. and become involved. Sponsor, mentor, teach classes. No matter what your background is, you can be a vital member in your community and their robotics program.






No comments:

Post a Comment