Thursday, August 11, 2011

Studio Art Problems: Final Project

Ah...the completion of my summer classes. What a relief! I had a post earlier talking about some ideas I had for my 5-week project and I finally came out with a product. It happened to be quite stressful because of financial strains but I think I accomplished what I wanted within the parameters given. We had critiques yesterday and today, mine was today, and it went fairly well. My biggest issue was the motor I used spun too fast (I did borrow it off of a mini-robot). My sculptural piece was a box made from acrylic with holes drilled on each side at an inch apart. I twisted wire using a drill and a hook looking bit to give it that nice and even look (my grandfather is a genius).With the wire, I pulled the wires through the holes and made a cross hatch pattern with different colors of twisted wires. After that, I laced the wires up the side like shoe laces which gave it a really nice aesthetic to it. Then having inspiration from Lazlo Moholy-Nagy's Light Space Modulator, I wanted it to spin and have lights. My good friend Rudy helped me out with the construction of the motor box using the program Solid Works. I then borrowed a motor from my former high school robotics team, Grease Monkey's, and some pieces of lexan for the base and motor box. I wish I had a better camera to have taken a picture while the lights were turned off. The reflection of the L.E.D.s off the metal wires made it look really neat and the shadows it created was also pretty awesome! Anywho, this was the result...

In the process of completion...

Close up of L.E.D.s and motor
A better look at the wires and motor box

Final Critique Set Up


Studio Art Problems: Final Project from Brittany Smith on Vimeo.



A special thanks to all the people who helped me out with this project: Grandpa Sam, Grandma Mary, Rudy, Mr. Henry, Ri, Brandon, Cale, Osiel, Mr. Binks (Class Professor and the one who told me about Maholy-Nagy), Grease Monkey's - Team 457, and anyone else I may have forgotten to mention.

Here is a random picture of a squirrel who is quite popular at our campus, not very shy either. If you look at his tail, it is much longer than most squirrel tails that I have seen...SQUIRRLY!!

Random Squirrel Picture


STAY TUNED FOR MY POST ON MY WORK IN MY ANIMATION CLASS!

No comments:

Post a Comment