Saturday, August 27, 2011

SA BEST Kick Off is near!!!!

San Antonio BEST (Boosting Engineering, Science, and Technology) robotics competition kick off will be arriving shortly, September 3 to be exact. The kick off is where they will show what the game is about and what they have to accomplish in the competition. F.I.R.S.T. Robotics also has a kick off (in January) but this competition is based locally.
 
"The SA BEST (Boosting Engineering, Science, and Technology) competition is a contest held annually to inspire and interest students in the fields of science and engineering. With guidance from adult mentors, local teams of students design and build a remote controlled machine to accomplish a specific task. The students are given a box of raw materials from which to build the machine and 6 weeks to design and construct it. The task of the robot is kept secret until Kick-off Day, when all the teams are told what the robot is required to do.  On Competition Day, all schools will compete head-on with each other in a thrilling science-fair-turned-sports-event.  Several teams advance to the regional Texas Best competition and compete with the BEST robots from other areas. More information on the BEST concept is available."

I have only mentored once for SA BEST when I was in high school, but I didn't know much about it and than continued to be consumed with F.I.R.S.T. My good friend Rudy (also a F.I.R.S.T. mentor) has been mentoring for SA BEST for many years and is mentoring two teams this year. So I figured I would try and bring this competition to light so if someone out there stumbles upon it, maybe I can get an "ooooo" reaction out of you. Seriously though, this is a very neat competition.

Check out their website here at SA BEST!

Here is the 2011 Game Teaser that you can also find on their website:


2 comments:

  1. Super-neat! You better go and take a lot of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This weekend is the kick off so its not really a big spectacle. They unveil the game or challenge and have kit training for the teams. I think the actual competition is October 15. Just for you, I'll take pictures to which ever one I go to.

    ReplyDelete