Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Mentor Robots + Life + Blog Update

Hello everyone, Sorry I've been on a tad of a hiatus from the blog realm. Classes started, my brother's wedding, and a bunch of stressful stuff in between has kept me away. I will try my bring this blog back up from the grave once again. One special project that I would like to bring up is a side project I've been helping with for the past few months. My robotics teacher (Mr. Henry) called upon some of his loyal servants...I mean students and some professional mentors to help design two robots.

These robots are specifically designed to be teaching robots for new mentors arising in San Antonio. This will be very handy for demos, classes, or possibly for sponsor meetings. Most teams in San Antonio need their robots for the competition and because of the price of the equipment, they can be very hesitant when lending out their hunk of metal on wheels. So these will be very handy for many purposes. Mr. Henry has a few sponsorships already on hand so we are well on our way to building.

We started with an already built robot that students had built for a past game. Our first job was to tear it apart...WOOHOO!! We kept the chassis intact since it was just easier that way. Than we had to take apart the gear boxes, which my friend Rudy did since he is a pro, and took apart the wheels to take out some spacers that weren't needed. Anywho we have had 3 meetings so far and will continue till it is built.

I promise to document a little more than I have been and hopefully I can get some footage in photos or video before we get too far in the process. This will give me the experience I need since I plan on applying for the AmeriCorps VISTA Program with F.I.R.S.T., I'll explain more about that later, to help me be able to learn how to make a robot from the ground up.

I also need to ask if I can use some of the other mentors names on here as well, that wouldn't be good if I did and they weren't happy about it.

Anywho I will be adding a few more movie reviews, some posts about some work I'm doing in my classes, and a possible new blog dedicated to me reviewing TED Talks...maybe. I don't know yet. We will see...

STAY TUNED!

No comments:

Post a Comment